OMRON Corporation announced the release of a new high voltage DC relay "G9KB" for high capacity household electricity storage systems globally on May 11, 2022. G9KB safely cuts off the direct current in household storage systems that have been increasing in capacity. Moreover, G9KB plays a role in encouraging renewable energy by downsizing products. Thus, OMRON is contributing to the realization of a decarbonized society by expanding product line-ups, including G9KB, with low power consumption for energy-saving equipment.
Recently, there has been a growing need for electricity storage systems for the realization of carbon neutrality and for the enforcement of resilience in natural disasters. Therefore, the capacity of household storage batteries, which aimed for the domestic consumption of the electric power generated by the solar power generation system, has been increasing. To achieve high capacity, the challenge was to secure the safety of products and downsize parts.
OMRON has been developing the technology that connects and switches electricity safely and securely. With this technology, OMRON developed a high voltage DC relay, “G9KB,” for high capacity household electricity storage systems. By adopting the arc cut-off technology and the new 3D arc simulation technology created by industry-academia collaboration, one relay handles the charging of electricity storage system, switching control and safe cut-off of the direct current which runs during discharging. In the 3D arc simulation technology, OMRON established a method to analyze the safe cut-off process of the high voltage DC and to reflect the analysis result to the component structure design. With these technologies, the compact high voltage DC relay which securely and safely cuts off DC was established, and the relay contributes to the downsizing and weight reduction of the customer’s products.
OMRON will continue to create new solutions with a focus on leading-edge devices and modules. These solutions are globally provided, and OMRON will continue to work towards the realization of a decarbonized society through customers’ products and services.
Main Features of “G9KB”
① High capacity DC relay supporting DC power supply applications
- Connecting and disconnecting 600 VDC/50A are available; it supports equipment and applications which opens/closes high DC load.
- Safety standards (UL60947-4-1, EN61810-10) required for solar power generation system components and electricity storage system components have been acquired. G9KB simplifies the application procedure for safety standards of the customer’s products.
② Contributing to the downsizing and energy saving of customers’ products
- In the 600 V high voltage system, DC switching control and safe cut-off have been achieved with one relay.
- When compared with one-way relays having equivalent functions, the board floor was reduced to approximately 75%.
- When compared with one-way relays having equivalent functions, the coil consumption power was reduced to approximately 60%.
③ Through combinations of these technologies, both high safety level and downsizing have been achieved.
- By using the magnetic field generated from the permanent magnet located near the contact point, the arc discharge between relay contacts in DC cut-off becomes elongated. With this arc cut-off technology, high capacity DC can be securely and safely cut off.
- By using the 3D arc simulation technology generated in industry-academia collaboration, the speed and quality of design and technology verification were improved. By visualization of arc phenomenon, the arc cut-off process inside the relay was streamlined, and downsizing the component body was realized.