Yokogawa Electric Corporation announced the release of the OpreX™ Vortex Flowmeter VY Series. These flowmeters comply with major explosion-proof standards (IECEx, ATEX, FM, FMc) and are SIL2 certified. The new product series, which is part of the OpreX Field Instruments family, will be released first in Southeast Asia, Oceania, India, the Middle East, and South America, excluding Brazil. It will be rolled out in other markets after compliance with each countries’ standards has been certified. When used in combination with specialized software that is sold separately, the OpreX Vortex Flowmeter VY Series supports remote maintenance functions that enable planned and efficient condition-based maintenance.
Compared to other flowmeter types, vortex flowmeters can handle a wider range of fluid types, temperatures, and pressures. Yokogawa developed the world's first vortex flowmeter in 1969 and introduced the YEWFLO series of general-purpose flowmeters to the market in 1979. It has so far sold more than half a million units around the world.
This new series has been developed with the aim of supporting the implementation of digital transformation (DX) in large plants in the form of efficient and planned condition-based maintenance.
- Enables calculations by the flowmeter itself
Utilizing readings from a built-in temperature sensor and data from pressure gauges and other external instruments, the VY Series of vortex flowmeters can perform precise temperature and pressure-compensated calculation
- Enhanced self-diagnostics and condition-based maintenance through DX
The digitalization of internal signals is taken further in the VY Series, enabling self-diagnostics to cover all components, including the vortex shedder bar and sensor element. This improves reliability and qualifies these flowmeters for use in safety instrumented loops (compliant with SIL2).
With the VY Series, it is also possible to track device integrity parameters and use this data to indicate when sensor capability is expected to deteriorate. Utilizing the FSA130 integrity verification software tool and the FieldMate device adjustment, configuration, and management application (both sold separately), the integrity of VY Series flowmeters can be easily checked from any PC in a remote location such as an instrumentation room, eliminating the need to go on site to perform maintenance checks. While Yokogawa vortex flowmeters have a well-established reputation of being maintenance-free, the enhanced self-diagnostics and remote maintenance capability enable an efficient and planned condition-based maintenance approach.
- FSA130 verification results screen
- A unique and proven design
- The sensing mechanism, face-to-face length, and the size range (from 15mm to 400mm), are fully compatible with previously released YEWFLO Series products, so individual devices can be replaced without the need for additional piping work. The vortex shedder bar has a robust and integrated design, and is the only such device in the industry to feature dual built-in flow sensors and a built-in temperature sensor
- The integrated unit can be partially removed and reinstalled, making it easy to clean or replace parts if necessary. Thanks to the use of dual flow sensors and spectral signal processing (SSP) technology, the vortex shedder bar is not influenced by vibration in the piping, so it can capture a stable vortex signal. This design delivers the industry's shortest vortex flowmeter face-to-face length and reduces upstream straight pipe length requirements.
Kenji Hasegawa, Yokogawa vice president and head of the Yokogawa Products Headquarters, says, “We are proud and pleased to release the new OpreX Vortex Flowmeter VY Series. These products are based on Yokogawa's long history of achievements we have nurtured in this field and incorporate the latest digital technologies, making them even more reliable and easier to use thanks to capabilities such as condition-based maintenance. In recent years, the reduction of energy consumption has become a pressing issue at production sites. With their accurate and stable measurement of the flow rate of steam, hot and cold water, compressed air, etc., I believe that the VY Series will be of great use to our customers and contribute to the realization of sustainable manufacturing.”
*1 Density of steam and gases change depending on temperature and pressure, leading to measurement uncertainties. The correct flow rate is calculated by using the temperature and pressure compensation.
*2 Displays the instantaneous flow rate, accumulated flow rate, instantaneous heat, accumulated heat, temperature (outward/return), temperature difference, and other measurements required for air conditioning and district heating and cooling systems
*3 Width (the length from end face to end face required to mount the vortex flowmeter on the pipe)
*4 When a configuration with a temperature sensor is selected
- Steam: Flow and energy measurement for high-temperature, high-pressure steam that provides a source of heat and power to various types of plants
- Gases: Flow measurement for utility gases such as air and nitrogen
- Liquids: Flow measurement for hot and cold water, energy measurement, LNG flow measurement and other cryogenic liquid, and chemicals (including non-organic).
OpreX is the comprehensive brand for Yokogawa's industrial automation (IA) and control business. The OpreX name stands for excellence in the technologies and solutions that Yokogawa cultivates through the co-creation of value with its customers, and encompasses the entire range of Yokogawa's IA products, services, and solutions. This brand comprises the following five categories: OpreX Transformation, OpreX Control, OpreX Measurement, OpreX Execution, and OpreX Lifecycle. The OpreX Vortex Flowmeter VY Series belongs to the OpreX Field Instruments family, which is aligned under the OpreX Measurement category. The OpreX Measurement category includes field equipment and systems for highly precise measurement, data collection, and analysis.