Global health technology leader Philips ranked number one for medical technology patent filings at the European Patent Office (EPO) in 2021. According to the latest EPO Patent Index, Philips filed a total of 1,311 patent applications at the EPO in 2021, making it one of the top 10 filers of patents in any category. Patent filings at the EPO were up 4.5%, a significant rebound after the slight dip seen in 2020. Innovation in digital and healthcare technologies were the main drivers of growth.
“Our top ranking in medical technology patent filings in this year’s EPO report highlights Philips’ unparalleled innovation strength in health technology,” said Frans van Houten, CEO Royal Philips. “And with our relentless focus on our healthcare customers’ needs, we’re leveraging these capabilities to drive better health outcomes, better productivity and a better patient and staff experience.”
The company’s successful recent innovations include:
- the Spectral CT 7500 system, which delivers high-quality spectral images for a broad patient base, including cardiac, pediatric and bariatric patients, further expanding Philips’ comprehensive CT portfolio
- new breakthrough applications for Philips’ Azurion next-generation image-guided therapy platform, helping surgeons in the interventional lab perform personalized, minimally invasive procedures
- the IntelliSite Digital Pathology Suite to enhance diagnostic confidence and workflows in pathology labs leveraging AI and cloud technologies
- the IntelliVue MX750 and MX850 patient monitors, which are uniquely designed to support scalability, alarm management, cybersecurity, and enhanced infection prevention within the hospital
- the Sonicare 9900 Prestige, a premium electric toothbrush that leverages AI to optimize the user’s brushing technique
Across the globe, Philips employs approximately 11,000 people in R&D. The company’s IP portfolio comprises 57,000 patent rights, 33,000 trademarks, 114,000 design rights and 2,900 domain names.
With a total of 1,311 patent applications at the EPO in 2021, Philips ranks ninth in the EPO’s global ranking of patent applicants. Among the EPO’s European patent applicants, Philips ranks number three,
For detailed statistics and supporting materials produced by the European Patent Office, see the EPO Patent Index 2021.